Cats are less than pleased to use a dirty litter box. But think about it, would you want to use a dirty toilet? Most likely not. So in order to keep kitty happy, you simply have to follow a few simple rules.
- Scoop litter boxes daily. You may even have to scoop more than once a day if you have more than one cat. I have seven cats and I scoop at least twice a day. I often find myself scooping more when one of them has left a less than desirable smell.
- Clean your litter boxes out. In order to get the litter box its cleanest, you will need to sanitize and disinfect it well. This means emptying out all the litter and letting the box soak for a while. There are a variety of ways that you can do this. One is to scrub the box with soapy water, and then spray it down with vinegar. Or you can soak the box in bleach water for a while. But I recommend scrubbing it good with hot soapy water, then spraying it with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit for several minutes and then spray it again. Rinse off then let it dry good before adding fresh clean litter to the box.
- Have the right amount of litter boxes. The rule of thumb is to have one litter box for every cat, plus one extra one. So since I have 7 cats, I need eight litter boxes.
- Make sure the litter box is full enough with litter. Cats want to be able to scratch around in the litter and if it is not deep enough they may choose not to use the box, and go somewhere else. Try making sure the litter is 3-4 inches deep at least.
- Make sure the litter box is in a good location. Cats like to be private when going to the bathroom. Place the litter boxes where they will have privacy. You may also want to consider the litter boxes with the hoods on them. This is a privacy measure and also keeps litter in the boxes better.
Follow these simple rules and your cat will love you for it.