Now let’s be honest – everyone loves cats. They’re playful, cute and wild at the same time. That’s why I decided to make a series of articles about cats of the world.
Since this is a first article of the series, let’s start with the most familiar cats of all – Felis catus also known as housecats or domestic cats.
Here’s some interesting facts about cats:
1) The first cat in space was a French cat named Felicette (a.k.a. “Astrocat”) In 1963, France blasted the cat into outer space. She survived the trip.
2) A cat’s hearing is better than a dog’s also a cat can hear high-frequency sounds.
3) A cat can travel at a top speed of approximately 31 mph (49 km/h) over a short distance.
4) Many Egyptians worshipped the goddess Bast, who had a woman’s body and a cat’s head.
5) A cat usually has about 12 whiskers on each side of its face.
6) Isaac Newton invented the cat flap. Newton was experimenting in a pitch-black room. Spithead, one of his cats, kept opening the door and wrecking his experiment. The cat flap kept both Newton and Spithead happy.
7) Approximately 1/3 of cat owners think their pets are able to read their minds.
8 ) A 2007 Gallup poll revealed that both men and women were equally likely to own a cat.
9) Cats are extremely sensitive to vibrations. Cats are said to detect earthquake tremors 10 or 15 minutes before humans can.
10) The cat who holds the record for the longest non-fatal fall is Andy. He fell from the 16th floor of an apartment building and survived.
Thanks for reading
3) Join Triond