What to Do If Your Cat is Stung by a Bee

A article about what you should do if your cat is stung by a bee, which includes the symptoms and treatments.

Cats are known to swat at or even eat insects that catch their eye. So it’s no surprise that cats-whether indoor or outdoor-may suffer from some type of insect bite at some point in their life. Owners should be prepared for any type of insect bite that may occur, whether that insect is an ant, a hornet, a wasp, or in this case, a bee.

You may only notice a bee sting a few hours after it occurred, or even when your cat shows symptoms of being stung by a bee. But don’t worry, a bee sting to a cat isn’t fatal, but should still be checked out nonetheless, as some of the symptoms may worry you for your cats health.

Some of these symptoms can be easily spotted, such as inflammation, redness, and the most common one, swelling. From the image below, it is clear that the cat has been stung on its right paw, which is considerately bigger and more swollen then its left. This is what makes it easy to spot a bee sting.

However, you must be aware that some cats can have allergic reactions to bee stings, just like we can, and the owner should be on the lookout for the symptoms of an allergic reaction, which include wheezing, weakness, vomiting, fever, diarrhoea, increased heart rate, and even unconsciousness or collapses. In the case of one, or more than one, of these symptoms occurring, you should take your cat to the vet immediately to be treated with proper care.

However, not all cats have an allergic reaction to bee stings, and that’s good as it means you can treat your pet yourself with home remedies and treatments, which save a bunch of time and money instead of taking it to the vet.

If your cat has been stung, then the most obvious thing to do is to take out the stinger. Some species of bee, such as the honey bee, will leave behind their stinger along with the venom. In this case, the muscle will continue to contract and pump venom into the cat’s skin. To remove a stinger, be sure not to grip it tightly with tweezers, this will only worsen the situation. It is best to get a credit card, or a drivers licence and gently scrape out the stinger.

Once you’ve taken the stinger out of the cat’s skin, now you can move onto treating the sting. But like what was said before, remember to take your cat to the vets if they have an allergic reaction, home remedies are no good as your cat would need professional vetinary care.

A vet would recommend that you give your cat anti-itch ointments or creams to prevent your cat from tampering with the wound and making it worse, or antihistamines to help minimize the effects of any minor allergic reactions. A cheap method of reducing swelling is to rub table salt onto the area of swelling, and it should go down within a few hours. Benadryl also works to help reduce the swelling.

Cats that have been stung inside the mouth will likely have some pain following the sting, so soft food would be necessary until the wound has healed. Also be aware that if your cat is stung in the mouth, it may be important to take it to the vet as the swelling could block the cats airway.

Most cats will heal within a few days to a week or two. Cats who suffer from anaphylactic

shock may have a more guarded prognosis.

Note, do not give your cat aspirin.

0
Liked it

Tags:

Post Comment
comments powered by Disqus