Acorns Can be Poisonous to Dogs

Acorns contain a mixture of gallic and tanic acid.

Acorns are known to contain a substance called gallotanin. This is a mixture of Gallic and tanic acid. This substance can cause upset of the gastrointestinal system in pets. They symptoms are cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and kidney failure. When a dog swallows the acorns, their intestines may become blocked. Chewed acorns will release more toxins of the substance called gallotanin. Some dogs may even experience seizures. Sharp pieces of the acorn shell can irritate the gastrointestinal system. 

Green acorns are known to contain more of the poison. Many dogs have died of kidney failure when eating acorns. Not only are the acorns poisonous to dogs, but the buds, bark, and leaves are too. You should know that there is no antidote for dogs who have ingested oak tree parts. Treatment can be provided with intravenous fluids and medication for pain. If you think your dog has been poisoned, then you should contact a vet or a poison control hot line right away. Acorns can pose a choking hazard for your dog too.

Pets are known to put everything in their mouth and they must be protected from plants that can be poisonous to them. Water that is contaminated by soaking oak leaves is also poisonous to dogs. After your dog has ingested parts of the oak tree it may take a few days before the onset of signs begin. Many new teething pups are attracted to acorns and they should be kept away from the oak tree. The shell of the acorn is the part that contains the most toxin.

You can get a list of all poisonous plants that can be harmful and fatal to your dog from the vet or on-line listings. You can prepare yourself to know which plants, trees, or flowers that your dog should avoid. Prevention is the best measure to keep your dog from becoming poisoned. Many pets are like members to the families who own them. If your pet is known to consume non-suitable items, then it will be best for you to keep them away from acorns. These acorns may seem quite tasty to a dog, but they don’t know they are causing harm to their body. Acorns can cause your dog to die. If a small amount of acorn is ingested your dog may survive, but if large amounts are consumed your pet has a very high chance of dying.

Image via Wikipedia

 

2
Liked it

Tags:

User Comments
  1. papaleng

    On October 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

    good to know.. Thanks for the share.

  2. Malpom

    On October 6, 2011 at 2:12 am

    Thank you for sharing, I did not know this. But I never even think about feeding dogs with acorns, it is not a pig.

  3. Shannon Lynn Farlouis

    On October 6, 2011 at 10:28 pm

    Well what I meant is that a dog can naturally find acorns on the ground, and if your pig is running around the yard, he may try a few acorns too.

  4. Dexter

    On December 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

    Thanks for this great information. I am needing to do some tree care in St. Charles MO and I never realized that acorns can be poisonous to my pets. I really appreciate the warning.

Post Comment
comments powered by Disqus