One Way to Help a Dog Who Ate Rat Poison

Many dogs get into rat poisons put out by owners. Now the best thing is to be sure that the poison is at a place where the dogs cant get too. However many times there are some places that our furry friends are able to get into without our knowledge. If your dog does get into the common house rodent poison,this article may be of some assistance. However please be advised I am not a Vet nor am I giving medical advice. I am only sharing what happened to me and my dog and how the technique worked.

Just moving into a new used house about a year ago, sometimes there are things left behind that can be a nuisance to dog owners. I am talking about rat poison. People hide these little boxes of green pellets in the hardest to find places. If the new owner doesn’t get all of them then the dogs are probably going to find and eat them.

            My sons little Pomeranian mix dog is about three pounds. Her name is “Chica”.  Chica somehow got under our kitchen cabinets and managed to get an old box of D Con mouse poison. I never knew it was there as I made a thoroughly sweep of the entire house. Come to find out the obvious, “Chica” nose is better at locating these type of menace than I am. The Veterinarian told me dogs are highly attracted to rat poison and just because the poison is old doesn’t mean it won’t do harm to a dog whom is allowed to eat it.

            After finding the empty box of mouse poison, I examined Chica’s teeth for green particles of the poison. Sure enough, “Chica” had eaten some of the poison. Being in the middle of the night, I goggled my fellow dog friends. The majority of them expressed it was important for me to get the dog to vomit, it at all possible. I have raised German Shepherds for a while now and have had to do this one time in the past. I got a teaspoon of fresh hydrogen peroxide and put it in a syringe without a needle. I just happened to give my new born pups vaccines so there where some left over awaiting disposal. I put the peroxide in the needleless syringe and put it in the “Chica’s” mouth and made her drink it as I shot it down her throat. I next took a teaspoon of table salt and put into the back of her throat. Within minuets, “Chica” started vomiting up large green clumps of the mouse poison and foam from the peroxide. Chica didn’t look to good but it took her about five minuets to get it all out. I then gave some milk of magnesia to settle the stomach and water to dilute any remaining poison.

            I took Chica to the Vet the next day and the Vet expressed that I had did exactly what was needed. She then prescribed some vitamin K for two months. If it wasn’t for my quick thinking and action, Chica may no longer be with us. The Vet then talked about how the mouse poison rids the dogs body of Vitamin K and what happens is that the blood doesn’t clot. The dog then bleeds into its lungs and suffocates or bleeds to death. So far so good, Chica is doing well and still taking her vitamin K.

            My son expressed that I should publish this to give other dog owners the information if they ever have to take emergency measures like this with their dog. See my website http://www.texasgermanshepherds.co

4
Liked it

Tags:

Post Comment
comments powered by Disqus