Three Deadly Foods for Dogs (And What to Do If Eaten)

Information on three foods that are poisonous for dogs, and what to do if they are ingested. Also includes a how-to guide on how to ingest vomiting in canines.

If you have been unfortunate enough for your beloved canine to steal a bite of something deadly, there are measures you can take at home to prevent further spreading of toxins through the body. It is all about how quickly you react. Below is a list of poisonous foods and what to do if your pet consumes them.

(If your pet appears dehydrated, has trouble urinating or defecating, or is overly lethargic, contact a veterinarian or the pet poison hotline immediately! The pet poison hotline’s number is 1-888-426-4435. These steps will never replace the care a veterinarian can give your pet, but are instead intended for when you have no other choice.)

Grapes or RaisinsRaisins are deadlier than grapes because they are dehydrated. Depending on the size of your pet, three raisins could cause acute renal failure. The same could be said with grapes. If your pet has recently consumed one of these dangerous foods, induce vomiting to reduce the risks of complete digestion. (Read below for a how-to on the induction of vomiting in dogs.)

 

XylitolXylitol is dangerous for dogs because it can cause liver failure and hypoglycemia. If your pet has gotten a pack of your gum, call your veterinarian ASAP! During the vet visit, make sure to take the pack of gum the pet has consumed. You can put a drop or two of natural maple syrup on the pet’s tongue to attempt to stabilize the blood sugar.

 

ChocolateDark chocolate and other less sweet chocolates, like baker’s chocolate, are worse than the milky ones. If your pet has eaten white chocolate, take a breath of relief. White chocolate doesn’t contain nearly as much theobromine, which is the caffeine related ingredient.

 

Any ingestion .5 ounces per pounds of body weight is harmful. If your pet has consumed a very small piece of chocolate, like an m&m, your pet will more than likely be okay. If this is not the case, you need to induce vomiting immediately if you can’t get to a vet. For a how-to guide on this, scroll down the page.

How to Induce Vomiting

(Never induce vomiting if your pet has eaten something sharp or extra large! This could badly injure your pet or cause asphyxiation.)

To induce vomiting, you will need hydrogen peroxide. If your dog is small, give it around a teaspoon full (about a capful). If you have a larger breed, give them around 2 tablespoons. The vomiting could take up to 15 minutes. Do not give your pet anymore during this time frame!

The vomit will be either yellow or white and foamy. Check the vomit to ensure the contents of the stomach you are trying to remove are present. After your pet has quit vomiting, if you do not see the poisonous food, repeat the process. Keep your pet plenty hydrated. It will probably be very lethargic for the next 24 hours.

0
Liked it

Tags:

Post Comment
comments powered by Disqus