Dogs have been known as “mans best friend” for many, many years. They typically are loyal to their owners, and make very nice pets. You may choose to have a large dog for the yard, or a small dog to live inside your residence. When selecting a dog there are many options to choose from. You can get a smart dog, cute dog, long-haired dog, short-haired dog, playful dog, lazy dog, quite dog, or even a loud dog who barks all the time if that’s what you choose. AKC, or American Kennel Club, is one of the most recognized organizations when it comes to registering your dog. The AKC keeps track of which dogs are most popular amongst all the breeds. Here are the top 10 most popular breeds for 2010.
1. Labrador Retriever- most popular breed in the U.S, U.K., and Canada since 1991. They are an athletic breed that is friendly and great with children.
2. German Shepherd- a relatively new breed of dog which only dates back to around 1899. Very strong and smart dog that is often used in the military and with the police.
3. Yorkshire Terrier- the most popular breed in New York City by the AKC in 2010. Popular because of its size and because of how cute it is.
4. Beagles- this breed has a very good sense of smell, which allows it to be a great tracking dog. They are even tempered and typically do not inherit many health problems.
5. Golden Retrievers- originally developed to gather hunted water fowl such as ducks and other game birds. Another dog that is great with children.
Closing out the top 10 are the Bulldog, Boxer, Dachshund, Poodle, and Shih Tzu six thru ten respectively. Chihuahuas surprisingly came in at number thirteen, Boston Terriers 20th, and the popular Weimaraner came in at thirty-two. Thanks to the AKC we are able to review dog breeds long before we decide on which one will be right for our families. Dogs will continue to make great pets for generations to come.